Whenever you need some inspiration in the kitchen just remember it doesn’t have to take a long time or require fancy steps to taste delicious! My grandmother was given a very special name due to this recipe, Mama Pies! Once I gave her this grand title it lasted her through my life, my siblings, her grandchildren, and even a couple of great-grandchildren.
Prep Time: 30 min Bake Time: 30-45 min
- 1 set of your favorite deep dish pie crust
- 4-5 apples (red are best) thinly sliced peeled with no core or seeds
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 4-5 cups fresh or frozen and thawed blackberries, rinse well (I typically choose fresh as they are juicier)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water or whole milk
- Line your 9in pie pan with the pie crust. Mix together your egg and water or milk and then using a basting brush put a thin coat over the bottom layer of your pie crust in the pan.
- Grab your handy saute pan and warm over medium heat your apples, 1/2 of your sugar, and cornstarch until the apples become somewhat tender about 5-10 min. (if you wish to add in the blackberries to soften them as well you can do so)
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together the apple slices, blackberries, vanilla extract and the rest of your sugar making sure they all mix well.
- Put the whole mixture into the pie crust and cover with the other available crust on top. Make sure to use a knife and put slits in the top and trim off any excess crust. *if you want the criss-cross look then roll out the pie crust on a cutting board and use your handy pizza cutter to make straight line cuts for long strips and then place them on there one at a time.
- Cook on 375 degrees for 35-45 min until the top is golden brown and the gooey center is boiling.
Spice it up: If you want to add a little extra add some cinnamon or vanilla bean to the mix or sprinkled on the top of the pie crust. It’s delicious.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and if you have any questions about the Apple Pie Twist or want to leave your own personal review or tweaks please leave a comment below.